Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains by Sarah E. Meyers and Mary Beth Lind
Zucchini Carob Cake ( or chocolate!) p. 215
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1+1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup carob or cocoa powder
2-3 cups grated zucchini
1/2-1 cup carob or chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1. Beat eggs. Add sugars, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix well.
2. Sift flours, allspice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder together. Stir zucchini into dry ingredients.
3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Turn into a greased and floured 9 by 13 inch pan. Sprinkle chips and nuts on top ( I mixed the chips in, and did NOT include any nuts…but that is just beacause I don’t like nuts in cake)
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
This works well made into cupcakes.